Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Mr Muhammad's Pies, 52nd and Lancaster


On my way to pick up the editor of From Scratch to That magazine, I passed the subject of our interview Mr Muhammads' Pies. Delayed by rush hour traffic at the intersection of 52nd and Lancaster, my stomach told me to dial Lendia on my cell phone and tell her to get here on her own. My stomach then took control of my hands and demanded I park the van and run toward the piles of sweet pies in pristine white boxes. I didn't want him to close before we could get back.

Lendia didn't pick up her phone and my professionalism kicked back in. I turned the corner and the large tan tent faded in the distance. She picked an excellent subject for our cover story.

Mr. Muhammad's Pies has been a fixture at the intersection of 52nd and Lancaster Ave. for 11 years. He sells sweet potato, bean pies, cheese pies, apple and the occasional butternut squash that is a must try when available. No need to cry over the demise of Twinkie's, Mr. Muhammad's Pies are all natural and baked locally. He assured me he will remain on the corner, open year around sometimes until 10pm.
Mr. Muhammad is a West Philadelphia fixture and sage.  He attributes his start in business to the influence of the Nation of Islam.  I fondly remember fish hoagies and carrot cakes produced by Muslims during my childhood and am please Mr. Muhammad is carrying on those traditions.
A spring festival at the intersection of 52nd and Lancaster is one of Mr. Muhammad's visions for his community.

He has a dedicated and loyal following, who park and brave the busy intersection to his island paradise. He informed us just yesterday a car from Virginia stopped by to grab 14 pies. I know I will be back soon to stock up for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment